How do I track my PSLF payments?

You can track your qualifying payments by submitting the Department of Education's Employment Certification Form (ECF). You are not required to fill out this form, but it will help you stay on track and ensure that you have the right paperwork when it's time to apply for forgiveness. Submit it early and often! You should fill out the form annually and when you change jobs, so that you don't have to dig up old records and contact previous employers several years down the line.

If you believe you have made 120 qualifying payments, see "How do I apply for PSLF?".

Here's how you can track your payments using the Employment Certification Form:

  1. Fill out the form and have your employer certify it.
  2. Send the form to FedLoan Servicing, the Department of Education's designated loan servicer for the PSLF Program.
  3. FedLoan Servicing will determine whether you have qualifying loans and whether your employment qualifies.
  4. If you do have qualifying loans and employment, all of your loans that are held by the Department of Education will transfer to FedLoan Servicing. You will receive a notice if your loans are transferred.
  5. FedLoan Servicing will review your loan payment history (including payments to other loan servicers you had before) to determine how many PSLF-qualifying payments you made during the time period covered in the Employment Certification Form.
  6. FedLoan Servicing will tell you how many qualifying payments you've already made and how many more you need to make before you can qualify for PSLF.
  7. After this point, you will have to continue submitting Employment Certification Forms to get an updated count of qualifying payments. Payments are not tracked in real time because they have to be matched to periods of qualifying employment.

If you believe that your Employment Certification Form was processed incorrectly or that your count of qualifying payments is incorrect, contact FedLoan Servicing or the Department of Education's student loan ombudsman.

Income-Based Repayment and Pay As You Earn are two ways to help keep monthly payments affordable based on your income and family size. Visit the Department of Education’s Repayment Estimator to find out what your payments might be.

register and stay informed

follow us on twitter - join us on facebook follow us on twitter join us on facebook
tell your friends about IBRinfo
Creative Commons License  
site by aeronet