How do I get them?

Income-Based Repayment (IBR)
Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF)

Income-Based Repayment (IBR)


To apply for IBR, borrowers can log in at, enter their personal information into the Electronic IBR Application, authorize a transfer of their tax information using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool, and review, electronically sign and submit the completed form online.

All Direct Loan servicers plus several others are already in the system, and the Department of Education has said it expects to have all servicers plugged in by Spring 2013. But you don't have to know the name of your servicer to use the tool; it'll flag that for you and tell you how to proceed.

For more information, to apply for IBR, or to update your income information, please visit

If you do not know who your lender is, search the National Student Loan Data System database.

Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF)

Our site reflects the U.S. Department of Education's current regulations. We will alert our registered users if and when new information becomes available to help you take maximum advantage of these new programs.

Track Your Eligibility

In January 2012, the Department of Education issued the long-awaited Employment Certification Form for Public Service Loan Forgiveness, which allows Direct Loan borrowers who work in public service to confirm periods of qualifying employment. This form creates an official record with the Department's PSLF servicer, and will help you stay on track towards loan forgiveness and ensure you have the right paperwork when it is time to apply.

Note: This is not the application for forgiveness, which is under development and will be available by the time the first borrowers could be eligible for PSLF Program forgiveness, in October 2017.

Visit the Federal Student Aid website for the Employment Certification instructions, fact sheet, and form.

Find out what you can do now to start the 10-year clock, including how to switch to the Direct Loan program if you need to.

Income-Based Repayment and Pay As You Earn are two ways to help keep monthly payments affordable based on your income and family size. Visit the Department of Education’s Repayment Estimator to find out what your payments might be.

register and stay informed

How to switch to the Direct Loan program

If your federal loans are in the Guaranteed (FFEL) program — where your lender is a private entity like Sallie Mae or Citibank — you can consolidate into the Direct Loan program to qualify for Public Service Loan Forgiveness. Even if you have already consolidated your loans in the FFEL program, you may re-consolidate into the Direct Loan program to take advantage of this program.

follow us on twitter - join us on facebook follow us on twitter join us on facebook
tell your friends about IBRinfo
Creative Commons License  
site by aeronet